Md380tools on Pi-Star
1. Confirm that you have a large enough SD card in your Pi-Star, we need at least a 4G card. The base image will work on a 2G card, but for md380tools we need a LOT more space!
2. Confirm that you are running Pi-Star 3.3.9 or newer (you need this version for a patched version of 'raspi-config'
3. Expand your filesystem to fill your card.
Once this step is complete, your Pi will reboot and expand the disk, this WILL take some time, be patient.
4. Login to your Pi-Star over SSH.
5. Unlock the disk
6. Install the supporting tools;
sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-none-eabi binutils-arm-none-eabi libusb-1.0 libnewlib-arm-none-eabi make curl python-pip
7. Install pyusb to support the USB connection to the radio
sudo pip install pyusb==1.0.0b1
8. Download the md380tools from GitHub
9. Boot your radio in DFU mode (with the top two buttons on the left held while turning on) Radio should now have the busy light flashing red/green.
10. Make the firmware; For NON GPS radios (MD380)
cd md380tools sudo make flash
For GPS models (MD390G)
cd md380tools sudo make flash fubar
11. Reboot the radio.
12. With the radio booted normally - you can now update the user database.
sudo make flashdb
This does take a LONG time to erase and re-write the flash area containing the user database, wait it out...
13. Process completed - your MD380/390 radio is fully updated, including the user database.